Coach stable, coach shed, and hay shed for the YPTC (constructed 1908, razing date uncertain, 1960–1970)
In 1908, Reamer designed a set of three buildings for the YPTC complex at Canyon. Approximately three-quarters of a mile north of the Canyon Hotel site, on the east side of today’s main highway, is an open meadow that was a bus yard until the 1970s. The coach stable (for horses), the coach shed (for vehicles), and the hay shed all featured heavy rubble stone foundations and piers. One of the buildings was remodeled in 1922–1923 as a driver’s dormitory known as the Cody Bunkhouse. These facilities were no longer in use by 1960, and were probably razed during the following decade.
Grand Canyon Hotel (built 1910–1911, addition 1930, demolished/burned 1959–1960)
Robert Reamer’s Grand Canyon Hotel of 1910–1911 was a magnificent structure. Those who had the opportunity to stroll down its hallways or enjoy its massive lounge, as well as those of us who have only experienced it through photographs, mourn its loss deeply. Rodd Wheaton of the NPS considers its destruction to be the greatest architectural loss in the history of Yellowstone.
Mammoth Hot Springs
By sheer number, the projects Reamer designed for Mammoth outnumber any other areas of the park, but many of his designs for this popular tourist area never made it past the planning stages. In all, he created eight separate designs for the hotel at Mammoth, four known structures for the transportation company, a commissary for the hotel company, an administration building for the U.S. Government, and four residences.
Reamer’s final work on a hotel facility at Mammoth took place from 1934 to 1938, when he designed the three major buildings and the cottages that today comprise the hotel complex. During a visit to Yellowstone in the summer or fall of 1934, Reamer began planning to raze the remainder of the original hotel, while retaining his 1913 wing, and building a one-story lobby and office area at its front.
Upper Geyser Basin
Of course, it is the Old Faithful Inn for which Reamer is most remembered in Yellowstone, and it is fitting to conclude our tour of his Yellowstone accomplishments in the shadow of that celebrated landmark. But Reamer’s inspiration and input were also significant on the two general stores, currently operated by Delaware North, that flank the great inn.
Old Faithful Inn (designed 1903, built 1903–1904, wing addition 1913–1914, wing addition 1927–1928, addition 1936)
There is no need to repeat the detailed narrative provided by Karen Reinhart’s article, but a summary might be in order. The Old Faithful Inn was why Reamer was hired to come to Yellowstone. As already mentioned, Harry W. Child, accustomed to spending part of the winter at the Hotel del Coronado, admired Reamer’s work on several buildings there. Inquiring of his good friend E.S. Babcock (manager of the Del) he learned the name of the architect and made arrangements to meet him. This was in January 1903, and it is likely that Reamer returned to Yellowstone with Mr. and Mrs. Child.
Robert Reamer’s influence on Yellow- stone has outlasted his lifelong career relationship with the park. Structures he designed continue to earn recognition and acclaim 80 to 100 years after he completed them. The Old Faithful Inn is itself a National Historic Land- mark. The Lake Hotel is on the National Register of Historic Places. Other Reamer buildings at Old Faithful and Mammoth are contributing elements to National Historic Districts.
Complete story -