Hawaii Pineapple Map

Hawaii Pineapple Plantations Current & Historic

Kaonoulu Ranch

Maui (Central North) Haiku Pineapple Growing Region

Hawaii Pineapples
Although it was discovered by Captain Cook, Englishman and nurseryman John Kidwell is credited with the introduction of the pineapple industry in Hawaii. Large-scale pineapple cultivation by U.S. companies began in the early 1900s on Hawaii. Among the most famous and influential pineapple industrialists was James Dole who moved to Hawaii in 1899-1900 and started a pineapple plantation kingdom in 1900. The companies Dole and Del Monte began growing pineapple on the island of Oahu in 1901 and 1917, respectively. Dole's pineapple company began with the acquisition of 60 acres (24 ha) of land in 1901, and, as previously mentioned, has grown into a major company today. Maui Pineapple Company began pineapple cultivation on the island of Maui in 1909. In 2006, Del Monte announced its withdrawal from pineapple cultivation in Hawaii, leaving only Dole and Maui Pineapple Company in Hawaii as the USA's largest growers of pineapples. Many of the Del Monte fields are now being over grown and are derelict or are being planted in other crops. Maui Pineapple Company markets its Maui Gold brand of pineapple and Dole markets its Hawaii Gold brand of pineapple.

Hawaii now only produces about 2% of the World's pineapple crop. Many of the largest growing regions are no longer in production and are
slowly getting plowed under and sold off for other development due to the increased value of the Hawaiian land. Most of the growing is now done in cheap labor countries like Thailand, Philippines and Brazil. In June 2012, Oracle Corporation CEO Larry Ellison agreed to purchase Castle & Cooke's 98% share of the island of Lanai. The state owns the remaining 2 percent of the island. One can only guess what he will do with this undeveloped agriculture island.

Pineapple harvesting is
very labor intensive and dangerous due to the pineapple plants razor sharp leaves that will cut up any unprotected field worker. Hawaii was one of the best and safest areas to grow and harvest pineapples. The Hawaiian Island chain has no poisonous snakes hiding in it's pineapple fields like other countries. Workers picking pineapples in other countries not only have to worry about getting cut by pineapple leaves but have to watch out for venomous snakes that can kill them. Countries like the Philippines , Thailand, and Brazil have this problem in their sugarcane and pineapple fields. The snakes are looking for small rodents and rats that live in the fields. The Hawaiian Islands from a workers point of view is the safest place to harvest pineapples.

Today it is a lot harder to find Hawaii grown pineapples at your store. You really have to look but it is worth it. Most are now sold online.

Varieties of pineapples grown in Hawaii:

'Hilo': A compact 1–1.5 kg (2–3 lb) Hawaiian variant of 'Smooth Cayenne', the fruit is more cylindrical and produces many s*ckers, but no slips.
'Kona Sugarloaf': 2.5–3 kg (5–6 lb), white flesh with no woodiness in the center, cylindrical in shape, it has a high sugar content but no acid, an unusually sweet fruit.
Lanai Pineapple Map

Historic Lanai Pineapple Region Map. Castle & Cook lands in light green aka Dole Pineapple. Commercial pineapple production ended on Lanai in October of 1992. Many of the fields are now returning to their native growth. In June 2012 real estate investor Larry Ellison bought the whole island to add to his large portfolio of property.

Maui Pineapples Map

Current and past pineapple growing areas on Maui. A lot of this historic southern pineapple area is now planted in coffee.

Molokai Pineapple Map

The historic pineapple growing areas on Molokai. Del Monte pulled out of the state of Hawaii in 2006 and left these fields to be sold and planted in other crops. A lot of these historic pineapple fields are now planted in coffee.

Oahu Pineapple historic regions

Current and past historic pineapple growing regions on central Oahu.